Posted: January 7, 2022 (PDF version available here)
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
Imagine MKE convenes, connects, and amplifies Milwaukee’s arts and culture sector and its contributions to the cultural, social, and economic vitality of Milwaukee. Our vision is an inclusive, engaged, and inspired Milwaukee that is recognized as a world-class city for creating and experiencing arts and culture. We are working to drive measurable results that:
- Make Milwaukee a great place for artists to live and work;
- Lift up and support arts and culture access in our diverse neighborhoods;
- Advance public policy to better support our diverse arts and culture sector; and
- Build both Milwaukee’s brand as an arts and culture destination and public support in our region for arts and culture.
Our work has been guided by seven core values: creativity and artistic expression, collective impact, results-based accountability, equity, inclusive engagement, transparency, and continuous learning.
Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Marketing and Communications Manager will be a key storyteller, amplifier, and advocate for Milwaukee’s arts and culture sector and Imagine MKE. This role oversees the planning and implementation of content across multiple platforms, including social media, e-mail, website, and podcasts. The person in this role will be adept in considering and communicating to various constituent audiences – such as artists/creatives, arts administrators, arts and culture fans/advocates, and donors.
We are seeking candidates who: have a good eye for design, love finding just the right words, say “yes” to testing out new ideas, are comfortable with emergent work and ambiguity, are committed to amplifying new and underrepresented voices, and are excited by working in a fast-paced start-up environment with a collaborative and creative team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage Imagine MKE’s communications channels
- Plan and manage Imagine MKE’s email outreach, including executing bi-monthly network newsletter and growing more targeted email products, such as advocacy alerts and donor updates.
- Build a schedule for and produce regular social content, including amplifying stories of our organization and our network, and develop Imagine MKE’s presence in new and emerging social media.
- Continuously update Imagine MKE’s website and manage receiving content from relevant team members.
- Coordinate and author blogs featuring our region’s underrepresented artists and creatives.
- Manage the development of video and audio content.
- Conceptualize and execute on multi-channel campaigns, ensuring the alignment of communications and messaging across all channels.
- Test, evolve, and implement data-driven strategies for optimal communication and engagement tactics.
Support Imagine MKE's role in amplifying the arts and culture sector
- Working with staff, work groups, and constituent groups, develop and design public-facing communications, including print, digital, and video assets.
- Work with staff and work group participants to support the implementation of action items coming out of Imagine MKE work group meetings and other convenings.
- Partner with Senior Director of Collective Impact to schedule communications updates across work groups and cohorts.
- Partner with Deputy Director and co-chairs to build participation in and outputs from our Marketing & PR Work Group.
- Promote attendance at external-facing events, including a large-scale annual Summit and other regular small-scale virtual and in-person convenings.
- Partner with Deputy Director to build targeted press pitches around key sector issues to build Imagine MKE’S role in the media as a thought leader, including writing press releases.
Success in this role requires an individual to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
Demonstrated (minimum 1-3 years) experience performing similar duties and responsibilities within the arts and culture industry or related fields, or equivalent higher education in arts/culture or related fields. This is not an entry level position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Excel, Word)
- Proficient in basic graphic design, including use of Adobe Suite
- Demonstrated computer software skills, including basic knowledge of a network/cloud system
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to appropriately communicate with varied audiences and draft strong copy in various styles and voices
- Highly responsible and reliable
- Flexible, adaptive, and proactive
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving abilities
- General arts and culture knowledge; specific arts and culture knowledge and relationships in Milwaukee a plus
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; reach above shoulders; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, or crouch. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision and peripheral vision.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
This is a full-time position offering a salary range of $45,000 – $50,000 annually, commensurate with experience. Employees receive benefits including health, dental, and vision insurance; paid time off; retirement plan with employer contributions.
Our staff will continue to work from home for the foreseeable future.
To apply, please e-mail to email@example.com:
- A cover letter telling us why you’re interested in this position
- 3 references (who will not be contacted without approval of the candidate)
For best consideration, please apply by January 24.
Imagine MKE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive organization. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and members of other historically under-represented groups.