This page is updated regularly with tools and resources to ensure that independent artists and freelance creatives have the support they need.
If you know of resources that need to be added to this page, send them to Kennita Hickman at khickman [at] imaginemke.org.
OPPORTUNITIES | IMAGINE MKE
- Our Holiday Artist Relief Fund is providing $500 relief grants, and artists can apply through December 14. Full information here.
OPPORTUNITIES | RELIEF FUNDS
Freelancers Relief Fund: Theatre Designers
Date opportunity closes: December 11th, 2020 5:00pm ET
Apply here. Grant information: The Freelancer’s Relief Fund will provide a limited number of rapid response grants of $1,000 each for scenic, lighting, costume, sound and projection designers who have had theatre employment within January 2019 - March 2020. More info here.
Brico Forward Fund Emergency Relief
About the fund: Intended to go towards projects stalled or halted as a direct result of COVID-19, the Brico Forward Fund Emergency Relief aims to put funding directly into the local industry, whether through paying crew, hiring editors, renting equipment, etc. Apply here.
OPPORTUNITIES | SHORT-TERM PROJECTS
Ma’ruf Neighborhood Youth Center Mural Project
Date opportunity closes: December 31, 2020 at 6 pm
Call for artist brief: Unbeknownst to many, Milwaukee has a sizable Muslim community with a history which goes back over 75 years. The Ma’ruf Center is seeking to bring visibility and create greater understanding about its center and the Muslim population with a mural reflecting the “History of Islam in Milwaukee”. The mural will be applied to the east façade of the Ma’ruf Center. In the spirit of community, the Ma’ruf Center desires to engage the center’s youth and their families in programming related to the mural and the artist is required to participate. The time requirement will be less than ten hours.
All applicants are to provide the following:
• 3 to 5 hi-res images of previous work completed
• Artist CV
• 3 professional references (Name, Title, Phone Number, Email Address)
• Itemized project budget (including scaffolding or lift)
Applications must be returned via email to 5 Points Art Gallery + Studios (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 6:00 p.m., December 31, 2020. Contact person: Fatima Laster at email@example.com
Interested in having your music featured on a podcast?
Black Imagination podcast hosted by Antoine Carter and Kennita Hickman are looking for Milwaukee music for to play during the show. We'd love instrumentals and full songs (instrumental and vocals). All genres are welcome.
Email us at ACarter@imaginemke.org OR KHickman@imaginemke.org and use PODCAST MUSIC in the subject line
OPPORTUNITIES | LONG-TERM
Board Service: Girls Rock MKE
"Girls Rock MKE is looking to expand our volunteer board for 2021. We are looking for voices from diverse backgrounds and talents who are comfortable promoting a space that centers around rock music and the experiences of femme-identifying folk in the music industry.
The Girls Rock MKE board member is a dedicated volunteer role that contributes to the development of the organization and the advancement of its mission. The mission of Girls Rock MKE, and our adult program Ladies Rock MKE, is to empower marginalized genders including girls, women (cis & trans), and non-binary folks — of all backgrounds and abilities — through music education and performance.
Girls Rock MKE is committed to fostering independent thinking, building self-esteem, and bridging cultural and social divides in a supportive community of peers and mentors who demonstrate: it’s okay to be who you are! We are dedicated to providing safe spaces to explore music through creative collaboration, self-expression, and technical development.
For more info, please see this document which includes information and how to submit interest."
Call for Artists - GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR BIPOC MEN INTERESTED IN BEING ON THE AIR! They're also looking for men bilingual in Spanish.
89.7 WUWM is looking to hire two men of color to fill two part-time positions.
Part-time "All Things Considered" Host
Weekdays from 2pm-6pm
Maximum 20 hours/week
Part-time Bilingual Voice Talent
Once per week on average
Time/Day to be determined
No prior radio experience is required. WUWM will train the right candidates. However, candidates must be strong communicators with a desire to learn.
A cover letter and resume can be submitted to WUWM Content Manager, Ele Ellis (she/her), at firstname.lastname@example.org. If candidates have an audio sample, that should be submitted as well. If not, Ele will send copy to be recorded and returned.
SaintA is a looking for a Director of Marketing and Communications
Job Purpose: This position is responsible for overseeing the marketing and communications strategy development and execution to elevate the SaintA brand and maximize community engagement in our mission.
-Work collaboratively with Agency leadership to create and implement annual marketing and communications plans according to Agency goals with an aim to (1) promote the SaintA brand (2) generate business leads / partnership opportunities for SaintA’s various departments and service lines, (3) increase engagement with SaintA, and (4) increase financial support from current and prospective donors.
- Plan, organize, and oversee writing, design and deployment of agency internal and external stakeholder communication.
- Manage SaintA’s digital presence, including the website and online platforms
- Partner with programs to understand their strategic goals and lead the creation and execution of strategic marketing and public relations plans and initiatives to help them meet their goals.
- Provide leadership to and supervision of Marketing and Communications staff to ensure deadlines are met and work product is of the highest quality.
- Provide media and community relations communications for program marketing, public relations, and fund development activities.
To apply, please visit https://sainta.org/careers/.
Mahogany Art Gallery (in Racine) is looking for a Sales and Marketing Associate (PT)
- Greeting customers as they enter the gallery. Working at the point-of-sale counter to process transactions
- Assisting customers in locating products by going through the inventory
- Suggesting new items to customers based on their selections
- Entering sales data and customer data into the database
- Keeping records of special orders
- Monitoring inventory
- Arranging items such as special sale items to engage customers
- Building customer relationships
- Assist with marketing duties as assigned
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
1. Candidate should be a self-starter, eager to learn and accept constructive criticism.
2. Organizational and communication skills.
3. Reliable transportation or access to reliable transportation is required.
4. Basic computer operation skills, typing, data entry.
To apply, please visit https://www.mahoganygallery.com/jobs
Our podcast will be inviting experts to join us to discuss issues that are important to artists' ability to work and thrive, especially during the pandemic. Have a suggestion of a topic that would be useful to you? Reach out at pod [at] imaginemke.org.
The Broadway Theatre Center, 158 N. Broadway in the Historic Third Ward has rental availability for its two theaters, as well as other performance and meeting spaces. These spaces are available for a permanent or intermittent tenant and are ideally suited for theatre/dance/comedy and all types of performance groups. The facility also offers rehearsal rooms, technical services support, a full-service box office, and production scenic studios to help with scenic, costume, and properties needs.
For rental information, contact email@example.com, call (414) 299-4957, or visit https://www.skylightmusictheatre.org/venue/facility-rentals-at-the-broadway-theatre-center
- Pandemic Unemployment Assistance is now available to those who have been self employed, including certain independent contractors and those otherwise not eligible to apply for traditional unemployment.
Everyone deserves access to nutritious food. Here’s a list of resources to support your short term needs and long term needs.
- FoodShare – Federal program to help individuals experiencing a food emergency. Foodshare is now available to folks who have been self employed, certain independent contractors, and those otherwise not eligible due to lack of traditional employment. You can check your eligibility here.
- Tandem – Chef Caitlyn Cullen is giving away free meals Monday through Friday from 11a to 4pm (or until supplies run out). Daily menu posted on Tandem’s Facebook page and often includes at least one vegan option.
- Hunger Taskforce has created a comprehensive map to show trusted, open food pantry sites throughout Milwaukee County. You can search via zipcode to see what’s available in your neighborhood.
- Need health insurance? Not sure if Medicare, COBRA, BadgerCare or Healthcare Marketplace is for you? Covering Wisconsin connects you with a healthcare navigator to connect you to healthcare for you and your family.
- Here are recommended community health centers that support most insurance providers AND offer a sliding pay scale. Sliding pay scales allow uninsured and under-insured individuals to receive services at a reduced rate. Services include (but aren’t limited to) dental, mental health support, and primary care support. Outreach Community Health Center, Sixteenth Street Community Health Center, Progressive Community Health Centers
- Energy Assistance is available for those who need help covering electricity/ heat bills. It is income based. This link allows you to see if you qualify and make a phone appointment to apply for benefits.
Milwaukee-based Artist Relief Funds
- Milwaukee Ballet
- Wisconsin Performing Artist Assistance (WPAA): The goal of the organization is to pair artists in need with sponsors who want to help support them financially during the COVID-19 pandemic. Artists create a wishlist of items they need, which is sent to a sponsor who purchases items for them. All information is kept confidential and no financial information changes hands.
Milwaukee-based Business Resources
Resource for small Black Businesses: Grants up to $2000 are available for small black business owners via African American Chamber of Commerce. Applications go live on June 8th. Click here to learn about applicant requirements.
Here's a link to a national artist relief fund that's distributing $5,000 grants to artists facing dire financial emergencies due to COVID-19. Please click the link to learn more about how to apply.